How to Make a berimbau?
Making a Berimbau is a fascinating process that requires a few essential materials and some basic woodworking skills. Here are 20 steps to help you make your own Berimbau:
Choose the materials: You will need a wooden stick, a gourd, a metal wire or gut string, a small stone or coin, and a piece of rope.
- Select a suitable wooden stick: Choose a straight and dry wooden stick that is around five feet long and an inch in diameter.
- Cut the stick to size: Cut the stick down to around four feet and sand the edges smooth.
- Mark the center of the stick with a pen.
- Remove the bottom of the stick to be able to attach the string later.
- Attach the string: Thread the metal wire or gut string through the hole and tie it at the ends.
- Cut the cabaca: Cut the gourd in half and remove the seeds and pulp.
- Sand the cabaca: Sand the inside of the gourd to smooth it out.
- Dry the cabaca: Allow the gourd to dry in the sun for several days.
- Cut the cabacafor the opening: Cut a small hole in the gourd’s side to serve as the opening.
- Cut the rope: Cut a piece of rope that is around two feet long.
- Attach the rope: Tie one end of the rope to the metal wire or gut string.
- Insert the cabaca: Slide the gourd onto the wooden stick, making sure that the opening is facing outwards.
- Tie the rope: Tie the other end of the rope to the wooden stick, making sure that the gourd is firmly attached.